Wooden It Be Nice





Woodworking is one of my favorite hobbies. I love to build furniture, and my favorite items to make are tables. I love to make all kinds of tables from coffee tables, end tables, to dining room tables. Currently, I am in the process and planning stage of a new coffee table for my living room. Since we’ve moved into our new house, I’ve been feeling like we needed a new coffee table anyways. My current coffee table is one I designed and crafted during my undergraduate career and is about five or six years old now. But for the room it is in now, it’s just a little too small for the living room space. 

The tables I have the most fun making are dining room tables. The most recent table I created was for a close friend of mine who wanted a farmhouse style dining room table with matching benches for her new apartment (shown in the photos of this blog). The process is so much fun for me. Starting out with the concept design, figuring out what the client wants. Then getting some sketches drawn to determine what style would look best. 

Then I start the blueprint stage, which is drawing out the specs and constructing the table on paper. Determining how much lumber, hardware, and the total cost of material for the project. Then the actual hands-on construction of the table is the absolute best part. Once I have all the right pieces made and cut to size, I do the first dry fit to make sure everything was measured and cut correctly. Make necessary corrections and alterations. Finally, I get to begin the fine detailing, and after that, I assemble and finish the final product. Oh man, just writing about it makes me want to start up the next project. 

If you’re like me, then you love to make things with your hands and love to have that feeling of accomplishment that you just made that thing with your very own hands. Woodworking is definitely a skill driven hobby. It takes a lot of patience and a lot of time. I’ve spent years developing my skills and absolutely love what I make. But most of all what makes me happy is how people feel when they use what I’ve made. Family dinners at the dining room table, having drinks with friends on the new kitchen island, or even cozying up on the couch with a good book and a cup of coffee on your coffee table. That’s why I create.


Do you have anything you’d like to hear or learn about? Let me know down in the comments what you’d like to see in the future.

Comments

  1. Wow! You have an amazing talent. My apartment also has that "farmhouse" decor and this piece would fit in perfect. I admire your hard work and dedication to your projects! How long does it typically take for you to create something like this? Thank you for sharing your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaKayla! Table making projects are always some of my favorites. Since I don't work at a local or public studio, and since I don't have a team, it takes me a bit longer than what a business could do. However, I've been able to complete a project like this table in just about a week.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Farmhouse decor has may be popular because of is simple clean look but as stated in your post it is not as simple as it looks. I wish i had the dedication and creativity to create something like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts