Foundation Techniques for Ceramics



            Looking back over my ceramic career, I started to think what the main techniques would be that I would want to pass on for future ceramicist. While I have many techniques in my arsenal for the world of creation, I’d say the five techniques that Alexis Corral states are the top techniques to learn. Simply because these techniques are the core of building and creating in almost every form and fashion in clay. The five ceramic techniques that I agree you need to know are Handbuilding, Pinching, Slab Construction, Coil Construction, Wheel Throwing, and Slip Casting.
In this link is the article 5Ceramic Techniques You Need to Know by Alexis Corral. The article defines and describes what Handbuilding, Pinching, Slab Construction, Coil Construction, Wheel Throwing, and Slip Casting are and how it works. It is a very good article on Artsy.net and if you’re interested in learning ceramics, I believe these techniques should help start your foundation in creating with clay.
I’d have to completely agree with the techniques described in the article. These techniques are foundations in ceramics. With these techniques and any combination of, I believe any creative idea can be achieved. This article not only tells you how it works but gives some history of the techniques. If you’re interested in what these techniques are and are curious about their history, check out the article and give it a read.


Link to Article:

Comments

  1. As someone who has no experience with ceramics, I appreciated learning what you consider to be core techniques to learn this art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you were able to learn something through this! If you do become interested in ceramics, I'll have even more tips and tricks to share later in the future.

      Delete
  2. Your blog in general, and this article, in particular, bringing back memories of my days in high school making clay ashtrays and bowls! The dirty and gritty nature of this discipline made it one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a unique topic to cover and I really enjoy reading your take on it! I was unaware that there were so many different techniques! This would be a great blog for someone to read that Is trying to expand their knowledge in this topic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts